Select Page

Conservatives smash Keurigs in Sean Hannity interview row

Fox News host Sean Hannity is seen in the White House briefing room in Washington, DCImage copyright Getty Images

US conservatives are destroying their Keurig coffee machines after the company announced it would stop advertising on a Fox News programme.

Keurig is among five US firms that said they would pull ads from The Sean Hannity Show after the host was accused of going easy on an alleged abuser.

He interviewed Alabama Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore about claims he assaulted a 14-year-old girl.

The Fox News host defended Mr Moore and cast doubt on the allegations.

Mr Moore, a former Alabama Supreme Court judge, has also denied the claims.

The conservative firebrand has threatened to sue the Washington Post, which last week published accounts from three women who alleged encounters with Mr Moore decades ago when they were teenagers and he was in this 30s.

A number of Republican senators have distanced themselves from Mr Moore, with many calling on him to scrap his candidacy for next month’s election.

But Mr Hannity argued that Mr Moore “deserves the presumption of innocence”. He invited him on his radio show to defend himself and his campaign.

As an outcry mounted over the interview, Keurig said it would pull its Fox News ad.

Conservatives vented their displeasure by taking to social media to smash their instant coffee machines.

“Liberals are offended by this video of a Keurig being thrown off of a building. Please retweet to offend a Liberal” one user posted.

The hashtag #BoycottKeurig surged on Twitter’s trending list over the weekend as Hannity took to his own Twitter account to applaud his “deplorable friends”.

Fans also used baseball bats, golf clubs and hammers to destroy their machines.

Mr Hannity retweeted videos of the destructions, and promised to give away 500 coffee makers.

Others online mocked the conservative backlash, pointing out that Hannity’s fans were destroying their own expensive appliances.

Four other companies said they would stop running their ads on the Fox show , without explaining their decision.

They are realtor.com, a real estate website; Eloquii, a plus-size women’s clothing company; 23 and Me, a DNA genetic testing company; and Nature’s Bounty, a vitamin manufacturer.

On his radio show on Thursday, Mr Hannity played down the women’s allegations.

“There was no sexual, there was kissing involved, and then they’re saying this one encounter with a 14-year-old…”

“And it was consensual,” his programme producer interjected.

Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption Moore has been accused of groping a 14-year old girl over 30 years ago

“And consensual, that’s true,” Hannity responded. “And there’s, I just, I don’t know how you find out the truth.”

Social media users attacked Hannity, pointing out the accusers would not been old enough to provide legal consent.

On his Friday show, Mr Moore declined to rule out that the possibility that he had dated girls in their late teens when he was in his 30s.

“If I did, I’m not going to dispute these things,” he said, “but I don’t remember anything like that.”

BBC News – US & Canada

LeBron James Says Deshaun Watson 'Should Have Been' Browns QB
Vontaze Burfict Reportedly Won't Be Suspended for Making Contact with Official

Daily digest email

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons
More in USA
YouTube removes dead extremist's videos

Close